Panel Discussion : Political Transition in Myanmar – Implications for India" Date: 04 December 2012 Time: 9.30 am Registration ; 10.00 am Panel Discussion Venue: Azad Bhavan, Maulana Abul Kalam Azad Institute of Asian Studies (MAKAIAS) Salt Lake. Kolkata Click for more details
Fourth East Asian Conference on Slavic and Eurasian Studies to be hosted by MAKAIAS on 4-5 September, 2012 at Azad Bhavan, Salt Lake. The theme of the Conference is 'Image of the Region in Eurasian Studies'. Click here for details
February 10, 2012: Symposium on "War on Terror in the Post-Osama Phase", Venue:IDSA, New Delhi
Please click here for more details
Workshop On Fieldwork in Asia September 5-16, 2011 Maulana Abul Kalam Azad institute of Asian Studies IB 166 Salt Lake Sector III Kolkata 700106.... Applications invited >>> Click here for more details.
•Symposium on "Nuclear Flashpoints in Asia" Date : 11 March 2011 Venue : MAKAIAS, Azad Bhavan, IB -166, Salt Lake. Kolkata 7000106. Click here for concept note ..... .
•Exhibition: The Northern Reach of Buddhism in Asia - Buddhist Communities in Asiatic Russia Past and Present Dates: 15 February 2011 to 22 February 2011 Venue: Bengal Art Gallery, Rabindranath Tagore Centre, ICCR, 9A Ho Chi Minh Sarani, Kolkata 700 071 Click here for invitation card.....
A solo play by Tom Alter in "Maulana Azad" Click Here for Details
• Dr. Arpita Roy, Fellow, MAKAIAS, received Dr. D.C Pavate Memorial Visiting Fellowship at the Centre for International Studies, Univerity of Cambridge, U.K for the period January 2010 to April 2010
• Dr. Sreemati Ganguly, Fellow, MAKAIAS, participated and presented a paper in the seminar entitled "Central Asia: Issues and Challenges" organized by the foreign Policy Study Circle (FPSC) in collaboration with the American centre, Kolkata at Lincon Room, American Centre on March 31, 2010.
• Dr. Svetlana Ryzhakova, Institute of Ethnology and Anthropology, Russian Academy of Sciences, Moscow, delivered a talk on "Cultural anthropology and ethnography of Siberia" in the Seminar Hall, Azad Bhavan, Salt Lake, on March 17, 2010.
• Professor Kimitaka Matsuzato, Slavic Reseach Centre, Hokkaido University, delivered a lecture on "Canonization, Obedience and Defiance: Strategies for survival of the Orthodox Communities in Transistria, Abkhazia, and South Ossetia" on February 25, 2010 at the Seminar Hall, Azad Bhavan, MAKAIAS, Salt Lake, Kolkata.
• International Symposium on "Migration and Demography in Asia" was organized by MAKAIAS on February 24, 2010 at Azad Bhavan, MAKAIAS, IB-166, Sector III, Salt Lake, Kolkata, 700 106.
• International Symposium on "Buddhism in Asia" was organized by MAKAIAS on February 24, 2010 at Azad Bhavan, MAKAIAS, IB-166, Sector-III, Salt Lake, Kolkata, 700 106.
• Professor Brigit Schlyter, Department of South and Central Asian Studies-Stockholm University, Sweden, delivered a talk on "The Role of Language in Central Asian Nation=Building" on February 8, 2010 at the Seminar Hall of the Maulana Azad Meuseum, Ballygunge, Kolkata 700 019.
• The 5th K2K Forum on "Yunnan and West Bengal Cooperation: Immmediate Possibilities and Future Potentials" was organized by MAKAIAS at the Golden Park Hotel, Kolkata during January 28-31, 2010
• In connection with the 5th K2K Forum, an ehibition entitled"Artist's understanding of others- Indian and Chinese Experience" by Sri Amitava Bhattacharya, Project Fellow, MAKAIAS, was organized by the institute at the Jamini Roy Gallery, Rabindranath Tagore Centre, ICCR, Kolkata which was inaugerated by Sri Amlan Dutta on January 27, 2010.
• Dr. Binoda Kumar Mishra, Fellow, MAKAIAS visited Yunnan Academy of Social Sciences, Kunming to attend a conference on "India-China Cooperation under the Global Economic meltdown: New Challenges and Oppurtunities" during January 14-18, 2010.
• Professor. Jayanta Kumsar Ray, participated as an axpert and as a votary of closer India-Bangladesh Friendship in the Seminar entitled "India-Bangladesh Relations" organized by CRRID, Chandigarh during December 5-6, 2009 at Chandigarh.
• A Colloquism on "India-Central Asia Connections: Trade Settlement and Communities" on November 19, 2009 in the Seminar Hall of the Maulana Abul Kalam Azad Institute of Asian Studies. The participants were Dr. Mastura Kalandarova, Centre for Indian Studies, Oriental Studies Institute, Moscow; Dr. Svetlana Sidorova, Centre for Indian Studies, Oriental Studies Institute, Moscow, and Dr. Arup Banerjee, Associate Professor, Department for History, Delhi University.
• Seminar on "Akademogorodok as a Centre for Science and Innovation Growth in Russian Transforming Economy"organized by MAKAIAS in the Seminar Hall of the Institute on November 13, 2009 and the talk was delivered by Dr. Evgeny Vodichev, Head of the Programme Expertise and Monitoring Unit, Russian Academy of Science, Siberian Branch, Novosibrisk, Russia.
• Dr. Anita Sengupta, Fellow, MAKAIAS, participated in the Conference on "Creating Knowledge platform on Central Asia, Turkey and the Caucasus" during November 6, 2009 at Stockholm, Sweden, organized by STINT, Sweden.
• Dr. Anita Sengupta, Fellow, MAKAIAS, participated and presented a paper entitled "Political Geographies and the Geopolitics of Identitie: Reexamining frontiers, Borders and Homelands in Central Asia" in an International Conference on "Geopolitics of Eurasia held during October 30-31, 2009, at India Habitat Centre, New Delhi."
• Dr. Binoda Kumar ishra, MAKAIAS, participated and presented a paper in an international seminar on "India and East Asia: Prospects of Cooperation and Problems of Integration" organized by Centre for Southeast Asian and Pacific Studies, Sri Vivekananda University, Tirupati, during October 6-9, 2009.
• Dr. Binoda Kumar Mishra, Fellow, MAKAIAS, participated in the Conference on "South Asia's Neuclear Weapons" during August 26-28 at the University of Hull, UK.
• Seminar on "Central Asia Between Russian and China: Local Perspectiveson the New 'Great Game'" was organized in the Seminar Hall of the Institute and the talk was delivered by Dr. Marlene Laruelle and Dr. Sebastien Peyrouse, Central Asia and Causasus Institute and Silk Road Studies, John Hopkins University.
• A delegation from Maulana Abul Kalam Azad Institute of Asian Studies, Kolkata participated in the Year of India in Russia programme of the Government of India. At Ulan Ude, Russian Federation during July 18-25, 2009 the Institute organized and participated, in association with the Institute of Tibetian and Buddhist Studiesm Ulan Ude in (i) an Exhibition on "Monasteries of Rinchen Zangpo" in Tibet and India" (ii) an International Round Table on "Contemporary Situation of Buddhism in Russia and India"; and (iii) an International Seminar on "Asiatic Russia, Central Aia and India: Migration, Regions, Regionalism in Historical Dynamics".
• Dr. Arpita Basu Roy, Fellow, MAKAIAS, participated in the Conference on "The Afghanistan-India-Pakistan Trialogue: Finding Common Grounds for Peace" organized by the Delhi Policy Group at New Delhi on June 25, 2009.
• Dr. Anita Sengupta, Fellow, MAKAIAS, participated in the IV International Turkish Asian Congress under the title of "Regional organizations in Asia-Internationalization and Cooperation" on invitation from TASAM, Istanbul, Turkey during May 27-29, 2009 and presented a paper entitled "Conceptualizing Trasitions in Central Asian Regional Organizations".
• The National Education Day was observed to commemorate the 120th Birth Anniversary of Maulana Abul Kalam Azad and in respect to that the Azad Memorial Lecture was delivered by Professor Peter Ronald de Souza, Director, Indian Institute of Advanced Study (IIAS) Shimla on November 11, 2008.
• Professor Shereen Ratnagar, former Professor Centre for Historical Studies, Jawaharlal Nehru University delivered a Lecture on September 27, 2008 at the Seminar Room of the Centre for Social Sciences and Humanities Calcutta University, organized by MAKAIAS.
• Dr. Suchandana Chatterjee, Ms. Arpita Basu Roy and Ms. Priya Singh, Fellows, MAKAIAS participated in the Fourth IAAPS Conference at Viswa- Bharati, Shantiniketan during August 22-24, 2008.
• A One Day Seminar on “Urban Experiences: India, China and Chinese Indians” was organized by the Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) at the Centre for Social Sciences and Humanities, University of Calcutta, in association with the ORF India China Centre supported by Kolkata Municipal Corporation and MAKAIAS on August 5, 2008
• A Two- Day Workshop was organized by MAKAIAS on ‘Regions, Tribes and Borders in Northeast India” during July 18-19, 2008 at Hotel Astor, Kolkata.
• Sri Soumya Kanti Mitra, Fellow, MAKAIAS and Dr. P.K. Sengupta, former Consultant (‘F&A), MAKAIAS, attended a Seminar on Religion in North-East India: Institutional Structure and Practices” held on April 25-26, 2008 at Dibrugarh University, Assam.
• Professor A.F.S. Salahuddin Ahmed, an eminent scholar from Bangladesh delivered a talk on “Contemporary Political Situation in Bangladesh” at the Conference Hall Centre for Social Sciences and humanities, University of Calcutta on April 15, 2008, organized by MAKAIAS.
• A Seminar on the Political Roles of Religious Communities in South-Asia- India” was organized by MAKAIAS in collaboration with the Institute for Security and Development Policy (ISDP), Stockholm, Sweden at vedic Village, Kolkata on January 16-17, 2008
• Professor Jayanta Kumar Roy, Chairman, Executive Council MAKAIAS and Dr. P.K. Sengupta, former Consultant (F&A), MAKAIAS attended the 6th Dialogue with India held on January 10, 2008 at New Delhi on invitation of GOPIO international, New Delhi.
• A One-Day workshop on ‘Northeast India and Southwest China: Exploring Possibilities of Wider Engagement was organized by MAKAIAS on November 15, 2007 at Kolkata.