• A lecture by Prof. Purabi Roy (Former Member of ICHR, MHRD, Government of India), on 75th Anniversary of Indian National Army and Provisional Government of Free India. This special lecture is an initiative of MAKAIAS to celebrate the 122nd Birth Anniversary of Subhas Chandra Bose.
The lecture by Prof. Roy, is scheduled on 23rd January, 2019 at 03.00 P.M at Azad Bhavan, Kolkata.
Kindly grace the occasion with your warm presence and your mindful contribution. A line of confirmation will be highly appreciated.
• A Symposium on “Education and Cultural Exchange Programme” was held on 3rd January 2018 at the Conference Hall of Maulana Abul Kalam Azad Institute of Asian Studies (MAKAIAS). Twelve scholars from Vidyarthi Vikash, Andaman and Nicobar Islands were invited for the programme. Research Fellows and Research Assistants of MAKAIAS along with the scholars from Andaman and Nicobar Islands had an interactive session.
• Remembering Maulana Azad: November 11, 2018: The Institute observed and celebrated the Birth Anniversary of Maulana Abul Kalam Azad. The Maulana Azad Memorial Lecture was delivered byProfessor Jayanta Kumar Ray, National research Professor, Ministry of Human Resource Development, Government of India, on Aspects of Maulana Azad's Thoughts and their Long Term Implications for India and the World.
• 3rd of October, 2018: As part of year-long programme on the occasion of 150th birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi MAKAIAS has organised a lecture on "Gandhi-Mandela Legacy: Way Forward" on 3rd of October (Wednesday) at 2 P.M. Amb. Sarvajit Chakravarti, I.F.S. (Retd.), Formerly secretary to the Govt. of India has delivered the lecture at Azad Bhavan.
• MAKAIAS will organize a Panel Discussion on “The Futures of the Past: Cultures, Traditions and the Question of Reflective Integrity of Indian Thought” On 6th August, (Monday), 2018, 11.30 a.m., at Azad Bhavan, Salt Lake, IB-166, Sector - III, Kolkata - 700106....click here >>>
• MAKAIAS has organized a Panel Discussion on “The Futures of the Past: Cultures, Traditions and the Question of Reflective Integrity of Indian Thought” on 6th August 2018, at Azad Bhavan, Salt Lake.
• 07TH-08TH JULY, 2018: MAKAIAS & Dimasa Historical Heritage Foundation organized TWO-DAY workshop on preservation and conservation of ancient Dimasa-Kachari monuments at Khaspur.
• MAKAIAS has organised a special lecture on “Assamer Bhasa Andolon O Bangali Prosongo” by Dr. Sukumar Biswas, Former Director, Dacca Bangla Academy, Government of Bangladesh, on 21 May, 2018 (Monday) at 3.00 P.M, at The Seminar Hall of Azad Bhavan, Salt Lake.Click Here>>>
• Seven-Day National Workshop on Documenting Oral Cultural Traditions of the Northeast India: Special Focus on Barak Valley, Organised by Maulana Abul Kalam Azad Institute of Asian Studies (MAKAIAS) and Department of English Assam University, Silchar in collaboration with ICHR, New Delhi, held at Silchar, during 22nd to 28th April 2018.
• Maulana Abul Kalam Azad Institute of Asian Studies & Department of English, Assam University, Silchar in collaboration with, ICHR, New Delhi organizes A Seven-Day National Workshop on Documenting Oral Cultural Traditions of Northeast India: Special Focus on Barak Valley During the period from 22nd-28th April, 2018 Click Here >>>
• March 27-28, 2018: MAKAIAS in collaboration with Adyapeath Ananda B.Ed College, Dakhhineshwar organized a 2-day National workshop on Tradition Vrs Modernity: Oral Cultural Traditions of India vis-à-vis Interactions with Educators.
• March 17–18, 2018 : MAKAIAS in collaboration with Vidyarthi Vikash organized a 2-day “Think India Summit 2018”.
• February 27-March 10, 2018: MAKAIAS in collaboration with Department of Sociology and Centre for Early Childhood Development and Research, JamiaMilliaIslamia, New Delhi organized a 10-day Workshop on Research Methodology.
• February 26, 2018: MAKAIAS in collaboration with Kolkata Society for Asian Studies organized a Talk by Mr. Rajesh Purohit, Director, Indian Museum, on Revisiting The Epic Site: Kurukshetra-Archeological Explorations and Excavations.
• February 23-24, 2018 : MAKAIAS in collaboration with Centre for Northeast Studies Policy Research, JamiaMilliaIslamia organized a 2-day National Seminar on Migration and Ethnicity in Northeast India.
• Remembering Maulana Azad : February 22, 2018:MaulanaAbulKalam Azad Institute of Asian Studies organized a daylong programme to remember the 60th Death Anniversary of MaulanaAbulKalam Azad at Maulana Azad Museum. Prof. BlankaKnotkovaCapkova, (Head of the Department of Asian Studies, Metropolitan University Prague Czech Republic spoke on India and West: Reception of India in Czech Republic. The lecture was followed by another lecture on MaulanaAbulKalamAzad by Prof. Amit Deyand concluded with Inter-School Quiz Competition.
• A glance of the Seven-Day Career Building-cum-National Workshop on Documenting Oral Cultural Traditions of North East India, organized by Maulana Abul Kalam Azad Institute of Asian Studies and ICHR, New Delhi, held at Guwahati, during 12-18 February 2018. His excellency, Shri Jagdish Mukhi, Honorable Govornor of Assam, inaugurated the session of the workshop.Click here for detail
• Maulana Abul Kalam Azad Institute of Asian Studies (MAKAIAS), Kolkata, under Ministry of Culture, Government of India, New Delhi, in collaboration with Indian Council of Historical Research (ICHR) under Ministry of Human Resource Development, Government of India, New Delhi, will organise a Seven-Day Capacity Building Programme-cum-Workshop on Documenting Oral Cultural Traditions of North East India from 13th to 18th February 2018, at Guwahati, Assam.... click here >>>
• Maulana Abul Kalam Azad Institute of Asian Studies (MAKAIAS) cordially invites you to the lecture on "Colonial Readings, History writing Mode and Contemporary North East India" by Prof. H. Sudhir Kumar Singh, from Department of History, Manipur University. Prof. Singh will be speaking on the said topic on 5th of February (Monday), 2018 at Azad Bhavan, Salt Lake at 11.30. a.m.
Kindly be present on the very day and grace our occasion. We thank you in advance for being present at the occasion and with your academic input and interaction, kindly make the event a resourceful journey. For other necessary details kindly find attached herewith the Invitation card.
.... click here >>>
• Maulana Abul Kalam Azad Institute of Asian Studies (MAKAIAS) will be celebrating 155th Birth Anniversary of Swami Vivekananda on 12th January, 2018, from 11 A.M onward. Professor Achintya Biswas and Swami Kamalashthananda will be delivering a lecture on “The Relevance of Swami Vivekananda in Today's world”.
• Maulana Abul Kalam Azad Institute of Asian Studies, at Azad Bhavan, Salt Lake on 11th December, 2017 from11.30 A.M onward will be celebrating the125th Anniversary of Swami Vivekananda's famous speech at the Parliament of World Religions , Chicago in 1893. On this Occasion, a special lecture is to be delivered by Pujaniya Brahmachari Murali Bhai (Recipient of Viswa Gourav Samman and Vivekananda Seva Samman and Keynote speaker in the world Congress of Religions, USA).
• Maulana Abul Kalam Azad Institute of Asian Studies presents a lecture by Dr. Kumkum Srivastava, Associate Professor of History (Retired), Janki Devi Memorial College, University of Delhi on Relevance of Sufism in Today's World at Azad Bhavan (Salt Lake), MAKAIAS on December 01, 2017.
• Lecture to be delivered by Dr. Govind Bhattacharjee, Director General (Direct Taxes), Office of the Comptroller & Auditor General of India, New Delhi, on the topic "Future of Special Category States in the Post14th Finance Commission Scenario", on 20th November 2017, at 11.30 a.m.
• November 17-30, 2017: A WorkshoponSocial Science Research Methodology in collaboration with Kolkata Society for Asian Studies (KSAS) Methodology Workshop at Azad Bhavan.
• Remembering Maulana Azad November 11, 2017: The Institute observed and celebrated the Birth Anniversary of Maulana Abul Kalam Azad. The Maulana Azad Memorial Lecture was delivered byProfessor Kapil Kumar, Director, Centre for Freedom Struggle and Diaspora Studies (CFSDS), on Challenging Colonial Historiography: The Indian Scenario.
• On 5th October 2017, Maulana Abul Kalam Azad Institute of Asian Studies (MAKAIAS), Kolkata, organised a talk on “Historical Knowledge and the Indian Perspective” , an initiative of Professor Sujit K Ghosh, Chairman of MAKAIAS, under eminent scholars at MAKAIAS.“ Professor Kailash Chandra Baral, Professor of India Studies and former Pro-Vice Chancellor of the English and Foreign Languages University,Hyderabad delivered the first lecture under the series, first of its kind in this Institute. Prof. Baral dwelt on various aspects of Indian concept of History discussing genres such as Itihas-Puran, the Charita and the Samhitaas records of history thereby discounting Hegelian imputation of India as a culture lacking in historical consciousness. He also discussed the problem of ideologically constructed historiography to demonstrate that as a civilisation India has a great sense of values that have endured over time and space.
Following his hour long talk interesting and serious interventions were made by participants to which Professor Baral offered very illuminating and insightful answers. Finally, in summing up the discussion,Professor Sujit K Ghosh, Chairman of MAKAIAS drew attention to diverse oral traditions of India in particular of communities in the Northeast that need to be focused for having an inclusive understanding of Indian past(s) in discussing the historical discourse.
The programme ended with a vote of thanks from Prof. V.K. Srivastava, the Director I/C.
A Final Joint International Workshop Organized by ASEAN – India Centre (AIC) at Research and Information System for Developing Countries (RIS), New Delhi & ASEAN Studies Center and Indian Studies Center Chulalongkorn University, Bangkok in collaboration with Maulana Abul Kalam Azad Institute of Asian Studies (MAKAIAS), Kolkata Centre for Studies in International Relations and Development (CSIRD), Kolkata on India - Myanmar – Thailand Trilateral Relations: Way towards a Stronger ASEAN – India Partnership 6 - 7 September 2017 MAKAIAS, Salt Lake City, Kolkata